Safety Tips for Driving in the Snow
Vermont is one of the best states to visit during the winter season thanks to the gorgeous scenery and abundance of ski hills (move over, Colorado!) and sugarhouses. While we love the snow, it does make driving a little more dangerous if you are not careful. Luckily, we have some tips to help keep you and other drivers safe:
- Before heading out on the road, take some time to clean off your vehicle. Make sure that all your windows, lights, and license plate are cleared of snow and that your windows have been adequately scraped clean of ice.
- Turn on your headlights. If the weather is currently snowy or lightweight snow has recently fallen and it is blowing around, it is imperative that you turn on your headlights so that you will be visible to other drivers.
- Go nice and slow. No matter how confident a driver you are, going at a slower pace will help prevent accidents – and it won’t stress out other drivers.
- Allow plenty of space between you and other vehicles. This will hopefully help prevent a collision in the event that you or another vehicle slips.
- Drive defensively and be ready for the unexpected (such as you or other vehicles slipping and going through a stop light).
- Start slowing down sooner at stop lights.
From all of us here at Poulin Auto Sales, please stay safe this winter!